From Sept.16 - Oct.6, 2012
The purpose of this program is that most schools have minimal room to budget for school books. The Adopt a School program sponsored by Indigo is to help schools across Canada get new books into those libraries.It's simple to help. All you have to do is pick a school (we picked Deer Park), give books by purchasing a gift card and Indigo will donate to the school and you can earn books for your school by joining The Library Makeover Contest.
Many kids don't own books so the only access they have to books is their school library so I wanted to help spread word about this and support not only my school but all schools across Canada, even my school that I went to as a child. I loved going to the library. I still remember the layout as if it's 1982 and loved it especially during Halloween for the decorations. I have fond memories of looking through the library files to sign out the book(s) and find the books on the book shelves. Ms.Wilson(I think!) was our school Librarian and I remember her so vividly as she would read story time to us. I don't see Riverview School listed in Manitoba's section as I would donate in a heart beat! Maybe you're a parent and you have fond memories of your school. Check here to see if it's listed.
|photo courtesy of Indigo|
Why it's important?
- Over 42% of Canadians are functionally illiterate and struggle with day-to-day reading tasks.
- A large number of Canadian children don’t own a single book. Their school libraries are their only access to books.
- Current school-library budgets allow for about a third of a book per student. That’s all.
- 72% of parents say their schools fundraise to support their libraries.
- $1,000 is the average amount each teacher spends out-of-pocket yearly to buy books and learning materials for students.
What you can do:
It's easy to start the gift of giving. Click this link to purchase a $25 e-card a book/$10 will be donated to the school of your choice so they can get new books for the schools library. Or help by supporting our neighbourhood school, Deer Park.
Until October 6th, Indigo, Coles and Chapters employees, customers and their communities will raise money to help rejuvenate underfunded elementary-school libraries across Canada.
Join us and help build a lifelong love of reading and learning for all children.
To learn more visit Indigo Love of Reading Foundation